We are almost one month down for 2015, so how are those new year goals looking? By this stage, many will have lost enthusiasm, jumped back into the daily grind and forgotten their bold declarations that 2015 would be the year of (insert goal here). It's not too late, in fact it's never to late, to take another look at what you were hoping to achieve this year. Set yourself up with a greater chance of success by considering these 5 tips for Setting Better Goals.
- Ask yourself why! Try to tap in to the real reasons why you are striving to achieve your specific goal. Why is reaching the goal is important to you? What will be different about your life if you reach the goal? What is the motivation for getting yourself there? Millions of people want to 'eat better and exercise more', but why is it something that YOU want to do? Make sure your goals are personally relevant, not just something you think you should do.
- Use positive language. When writing down health related goals, try word them around positive behaviours you want to adopt instead the unhelpful habits you might be trying to give up. For example, rather than saying you aim to give up sugary or fatty foods, focus instead on increasing vegetable intake or choosing higher fibre snacks. Don't fixate on the negative, reach for the positive!
- Get strategic. Don't just write down the goal but also write down the strategy. You need some kind of action plan that you can follow. Remember, a goal without a plan is just a wish.
- Consider your support team. Who or what can provide ongoing support to help you get to where you want to be? A friend, family member, health professional or mentor may help you with encouragement or accountability - but also consider how they can best provide that support.
- Take the first step. So you've written down your well worded, motivating and inspired goals in your neatest, boldest handwriting and pinned them up on your wall where you can see them daily. That's awesome, but don't trick yourself into thinking you've actually started working towards them. Think of something you can do in the next 48 hours that will get you started, and do it!
What are you hoping to achieve in 2015? I hope these tips will help you on your way!