A little while ago I was nominated for a Liebster Award by the wonderful Nickie Hursthouse of The Good Wolf Manifesto . This is not so much an award, but more of a virtual high-five given from one blogger to another, as well as a great way to share our favourite blogs with everyone. Nickie is a fellow Accredited Practising Dietitian and her blog is full of beautiful articles, recipes and inspiration for living well. Thank you Nickie for nominating Rethink Nutrition!
Once nominated, the rules are as follows:
- Reveal 11 interesting facts about yourself
- Answer the questions designated by the blogger who nominated you
- Nominate other new bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Give your nominees a list of questions they have to answer
All this feels slightly self indulgent, so you can consider the rest of this as a 'get to know me post'.
11 Interesting facts about myself
- I live and grew up in the northern end of the Illawarra (NSW), a beautiful place nestled between the ocean and a long stretch of escarpment. There's a lot of comfort to be found being stuck between a (small) mountain and the sea.
- Our house has functioned without a TV connection for just over 2 years, and it's fantastic! When we moved in at the end of 2012 we decided not to plug in. We still watch DVDs and stream shows online (currently loving Parks & Rec), but we have reduced our screen time dramatically and have more time for lots of other things.
- Before choosing specifically to study nutrition and exercise I knew I wanted a career in health and to learn more about the human body. One day a brochure all about exercise science and nutrition courses at Wollongong Uni turned up and no-one knew where it came from. I decided it sounded good and that it was the course for me.
- On my final report card for grade 6 I received all A's, except for a B for science and a B for sports. Now I have a degree in Exercise Science.
- If I had to list my favourite foods they would be (in no particular order) pasta, chocolate, strawberries, and perfectly roasted sweet potato.
- Despite being an Accredited Exercise Physiologist and a qualified personal trainer, I'm not a typically sporty person. I'm a huge advocate of the fact that anyone can be active - you don't have to fit the typical athletic stereotype. Being fit can mean something different to everyone and to me it means being able to sprint after my dog, carry my toddler up multiple flights of stairs with ease, and take on new challenges as they arise without the worry of not being able to cope physically.
- I'm a morning person. Yep, we do exist.
- I'm fairly introverted. I don't consider myself to be shy, but I'm not great at small talk and find it hard to focus when there's a lot of noise or multiple conversations going on around me.
- I'm a compulsive letter-box checker. Every time i walk past our letter box I have to look to see if there is something inside.
- One of my major pet hates is when someone advertises a garage sale by putting up a sign that says "Garage sale this Saturday", but then never takes it down and you see it every Saturday for 3 months.
- We are currently renovating our old house, which means I am constantly switching between a mindset of this is so exciting, our place has so much potential to a mindset of I want this to be over now, seriously, why did we start doing this. We do have a nice bathroom though.
Questions from Nickie of The Good Wolf Manifesto
- What is your travel destination for 2015?
We have no travel plans at this stage for 2015. We started the year visiting family in New Zealand and are dreaming of a family holiday in Hawaii at some stage. At the moment I'd be happy with a weekend camping down the coast.
- What gets you out of bed every morning?
My toddler, and it can be anytime from 5.30am onwards.
- Who are the top 5 people you would invite for dinner (whether they are still alive or not)?
I had to think hard about this one, and to be honest, it would be a certain group of girlfriends from my uni days. For some reason they all fled Wollongong after graduating and they are all welcome for dinner anytime they feel like dropping in!
- What is your favourite book?
Not sure if I can pinpoint a favourite but I loved To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee after reading it in High School, and you can't go past Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
- What is a secret talent of yours?
Ummmmm I can correctly say the alphabet backwards really fast and I can recite the book Dr Suess's ABC from memory.
- Summer or winter?
Summer wins hands down. Although mid-Autumn is fitting me very well at the moment.
- Sweet or savoury?
I'd have to say sweet.
- What do you think of when you think of The Good Wolf Manifesto?
The first thing I think of is blueberries, because of the beautiful picture in the opening page. But also I think of it as a great collection of gorgeous recipes, articles and pictures that all inspire me towards living a more well rounded life.
- What is your favourite quote?
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courgage - Anais Nin
- What is your best dinner party recipe?
I always seem to make something different, but some variation of a roast is usually a safe bet. Can't go past Donna Hay's Moroccan Spiced Baked Lamb from her book No Time To Cook.
It's my honour to now nominate the following blogs that I adore:
- Nourish and Nest A stunning blog and online store run by my great friend Tara.
- Hope Nutrition The photos and recipes on this blog by NZ registered nutritionist Emily Hope will have you heading straight into the kitchen, not to mention leave you wishing that you too lived on a fig farm in NZ wine country!
- Broccoli and Blueberries The witty commentary and musings of new graduate APD Emma Stubbs
My questions for you are...
Q1. What prompted you to start blogging?
Q2. Do you have a favourite local cafe?
Q3. List 5 food items you always have stocked in your fridge or pantry
Q4. A favourite quote
Q5. Tea or coffee and how do you take it?
Q6. What is one favourite place you have visited and one you would like to visit?
Q7. What book(s) is on your bedside table right now?
Q8. Do you have a favourite, most thumbed through cook book?
Q9. Are you a messy cook or a tidy chef?
Q10. Describe Rethink Nutrition in 3 words
I can't wait to read your answers Tara, Emily & Emma!
Thanks for reading what ended up being a rather long post. Do you have any great blogs you'd like to share with everyone? Pop a link to them in the comments below.