Pumpkin & Red Lentil Soup
1 Tbsp oil
1 long red chilli
2cm fresh ginger, grated
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1kg diced pumpkin pieces
1/2 cup red lentils
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cut the chilli in half, setting aside one half to use as a garnish. Remove the seeds from the remaining chilli, finely chop and add it to the pot along with the ginger and spring onions. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin and lentils and stir.
2. Into the pot, add the stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is very soft and the lentils are tender.
3. Puree the soup using either a food processor, blender or stick blender. You may need to let the soup cool first, depending which device you use.
4. If cooled, reheat soup, then served topped with fresh coriander, the remaining sliced chilli, and a drizzle of any extra coconut milk.
- For a spicier soup, add in a teaspoon of chilli powder with the chopped chilli and ginger.